In recent decades, historical energy demand statistics depict the rise in energy demands and the corresponding increase in carbon dioxide emissions and its detrimental impact on the global environment. The increased attention toward low carbon fuels leads to carbon-free hydrogen fuel expected to become a significant fuel in the upcoming years. Due to the considerable changes required for hydrogen energy systems and applications, ammonia appears to entail a vital position in developing the hydrogen economy. With numerous favorable properties and characteristics, ammonia is considered a promising candidate to address several challenges faced by hydrogen usage as a fuel. Ammonia has, for many decades, been serving in various sectors, for example, fertilizers, working fluids, cleaning chemicals, refrigerants, and many more. However, from the perspective of fuels, the necessity of shifting toward carbon-free fuels in this era has made ammonia stand out as a promising fuel that can aid in reducing the dependence on fossil fuel-based energy production. Also, ammonia is recognized as a clean solution as long as it is produced cleanly by renewables.
In this regard, ammonia fuel cells play a crucial role in the flourishment of ammonia energy. Lead to higher efficiencies than combustion engines, fuel cells, and other renewables are anticipated to be the upcoming revolution in power generation. In this training course, the ammonia-based energy production technologies that have been developed across the globe are explained. Also, the objectives of several international collaborations focusing on the development of ammonia-based energy technologies are described. Ammonia engines that were developed recently are described along with their advantages and challenges. In addition to this, ammonia gas turbines are discussed along with plans for their research and development. Lastly, the growth of ammonia fuel cells is summarized, and the current challenges faced by these technologies are described. Recommendations to enhance the performances of present direct type ammonia fuel cells are also provided.
This training course will highlight:
- The hydrogen economy concept is elucidated, highlighting the advancement plans of this notion of a carbon-free society.
- The fundamental fuel cell phenomena are explained through other energy conversion devices, including engines and batteries.
- Compared to other electrochemical devices, fuel cells' electrochemical phenomena show similarities and differences in their operation.
- The future energy trends, options, and opportunities
- Technologies and Commercialization of Fuel Cells
By the end of this training course, the participants will be able to:
- Understand the Hydrogen economy concept, including electricity generation, transportation, metal refining, fertilizer production, and synthetic fuel production.
- Master the Fuel cell working principles
- Learn the Classification of Fuel Cells, chemical and physical phenomena, Electrodes, and Electrolytes in a Fuel Cell.
- Learn to calculate Fuel Cell performance
- Understand the advantages of highly efficient single-step conversion of chemical to electrical energy, and applications of fuel cells
- Learn the Future Energy Solutions using Ammonia energy; Ammonia engines; Ammonia gas turbines; and Ammonia fuel cells.
This training course on Developing Clean Energy and Hydrogen Economy from Sustainable Ammonia Production, will utilize various proven adult learning techniques that ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, and retention of the information presented. The daily workshops will be highly interactive and participative. This course combines PowerPoint presentation with interactive practical exercises, supported by videos, group discussion activities, and business case studies.