Energy needs must be met in a world that cannot survive without it. How effectively we meet this need will determine the development of the modern world, particularly following COVID-19. Many challenges are facing us in the field of energy which includes issues such as high and volatile energy prices, growing global energy demand, security risks affecting producing and transit countries, the growing threats of environmental changes, slow progress in energy efficiency, challenges posed by the increasing share of renewables.
Energy Contracts need to be strategic and looked at through the lens of your company’s current risk profile. Companies need to formulate a targeted approach. Your energy contract management should provide customize solutions and also determine the best pricing strategy to meet your efficiency goals. Parties to the contracts want to mitigate dramatic price increases and the contracts need to address this and provide workable solutions. There is a need for customised contracts to avoid undue penalties which can cripple the commercial viability of a project. Energy contracts must allow for flexibility and the contracts must reflect this and have a robust basis for meeting stakeholders’ requirements.
This ETC online training course will provide participants with a comprehensive understanding of energy contracts essential to manage the volatile energy market. Participants will receive a thorough in-depth exposition of the several energy contracts and understand the rationale behind them and acquire essential skills to negotiate sound well thought out energy contracts.
At the end of this online training course, you will learn how to:
- Understand the global energy market and the structure of energy contracts
- Assess risks in the energy industry and know how to minimize those risks, including COVID-19 and other global pandemic
- Examine and analyse the difference energy contracts both upstream and downstream
- Assess key issues faced during contract lifecycle and know how to negotiate appropriate contractual clauses
- Avoiding pitfalls in contract negotiations and ambiguous contractual terms
This online training course will utilize a variety of proven online learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, retention of the information presented. The training course is conducted Online via an Advanced Virtual Learning Platform in the comfort of any location of your choice.
Who Should Attend?
This ETC online training course is suitable to a wide range of energy industry professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Contracts Professionals
- Commercial Managers & Professionals
- Project Managers
- Procurement Supply Chain Professionals
- Risk Manager / Contract Risk Professionals
- Financial Professionals in the Energy Industry
The Course Outline
Day One: Introduction to Energy Contracts
- Energy Laws, Policy, Business Ethics
- Contractual formation and pitfalls
- Negotiations and what to look for to maximize benefits and minimize risks- how current contracts should be negotiated in light of COVID-19
- Key oil and gas specific clauses
- Key performance clauses
- Liquidated damages
- Risk allocation & Risk assessment
Day Two: Specific Upstream Energy Agreements
- Oil and gas concessions
- Production Sharing Contracts, including impact of COVID-19 on existing agreements
- Service Contracts
- Joint Operating Agreements (Joint ventures)
Day Three: Specific Energy Contracts Examined with reference to COVID-19 & Dispute Resolution
- Gas Sale Agreement (GSA)
- LNG Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA)
- Time charter party agreement
- Gas Sales Agreements
- Transportation agreements
- Take or pay agreements
- Terminal use agreement
- Types of dispute resolution vehicles
- Assessing litigation vs. arbitration options
- Mediation considerations
- Considerations for selecting effective mediators and Arbitrators
- Selecting arbitration and mediation rules of procedure
- Drafting effective dispute resolution clause
The Energy Training Centre e-Certificate will be given to the delegates who attend and complete the online training course.