This ETC Smart Digital Transformers for Transmission and Distribution training seminar has been designed to provide a clear and perfect understanding of the principles, characteristics, construction and selection of digital smart transformers which are the making inroads with today’s renewable energy distributed systems. The grid continues to increase in complexity, integrating more clean and renewable energy than ever before, while balancing new loads, like electric vehicle charging and data centers, inspiring innovative transformer technology.
The utilization of oil-filled and dry type transformers are increasingly visible due to their outstanding characteristics. Ester based insulation oil for transformers are also incorporated in the new generation digital transformers. Gas insulated transformers are gaining visibility in the transmission and distribution of electricity with a seamless connectivity with the present gas insulated switchgear substations.
Smart transformers are emerging rapidly with the onset of electrical power digitalization. The retro fill or new ester oil as substitute for mineral oil in transformers are fast gaining prominence as it increases the safety of transformer installations. Robotics are incorporated with the new state of the art smart transformers.
This ETC training seminar will highlight:
- Design and construction of digital transformers
- Characteristics of ‘Ability’ and ‘Sensformer’
- Maximising transformer reliability
- Selection of liquid insulating agent for transformers
- Maintenance software, testing, diagnostics and monitoring technologies
By the end of this ETC training course, participants will learn to:
- Describe the types of transformer oil and dry type digital transformers
- Appreciate the performance of the digital substation transformers
- Understand the merits of smart transformers
- Recognise the importance of reducing carbon footprint by switching to ester based oils for transformers
- Gas insulated transformers architecture
This ETC Electrical Engineering training will ensure that participants will receive a thorough training on the subjects covered by the seminar outline with the instructor utilising a variety of proven adult learning teaching and facilitation techniques. Each seminar participant will receive a copy of the comprehensive seminar notes. The presenter will outline and discuss the topics using computer displays, videos and power point presentation.
The seminar is designed to have an interactive format to maximize delegate participation. Questions and answers are encouraged throughout and at the daily sessions. Needs-Based case-studies and examples will be discussed in problem solving workshop sessions. This gives participants the opportunity to discuss with other delegates and the presenter their specific problems and appropriate solutions.
Upon completion of the ETC course the organizational impact would be:
- Technical training and up-skilling to improve and realise the full potential of a competent workforce.
- Productivity increase through minimisation of project time acceptance/design and testing.
- Identification for opportunities of improvements due to deep understanding of the presented state-of-the-art maintenance technologies.
- Networking of personnel with technology leaders and other engineers.
- Attitude change of workforce, as continuous follow up of new technologies and their up taking could otherwise create workforce with high resistance to change due to lack of understanding.
- Ensure safety practices are adhered when carrying out electrical installation activities
On successful completion of this ETC seminar delegate will be able to understand:
- Understand the principles of operation and construction of digital transformers
- Identify the merits of smart transformers
- Appreciate the testing and maintenance software for digital transformers
- Be exposed to the new generation smart transformers and gas insulated transformers
- Recognize the effects of global warming potential by the introduction of ester based oil
- Comprehend the maximization of transformer reliability
Who Should Attend?
The technicians and maintenance staff will be able to comprehend the types, construction, operations, function of transformers. This will enable them to carry out effective maintenance activities
This ETC training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Electrical Engineers
- Maintenance Technicians
- Electrical Supervisors
- Engineering Professionals
- Managers of the Electrical Engineering department
The Course Outline
Overview of conventional transformer designs and characteristics
- Fundamentals of power transformer designs
- Types of generator step-up transformer (GSU), power transmission transformers and distribution power transformers
- Significance of transformer vector groups
- Types of windings and winging insulation materials
- Mineral oil characteristics and effects of temperature rise in the oil
- Merits of sweep frequency response analysis and tan delta tests
Smart transformer constructional and characteristics, temperature management
- Characteristics of a smart transformer
- Smart transformer for distribution system
- Digital transformer characteristics and merits
- Role of digital transformers in the grid
- Transformer temperature management
- Digitally controlled dehydrating breathers
Transformer performance with ester based oils and renewable energy integration
- Maximising transformer reliability
- Dissolve gas analysis
- Natural esters specifications, characteristics and performance
- Power transformers with natural ester based oils
- Digital substation architecture
- Merits of digital substation integration with renewable energy
Smart transformers digital solution including power diagnostics software
- The ABB Ability transformer with TXplore
- The ABB TXpert digital transformer solution
- The Siemens Sensformer digital transformer
- The SIEMENS Pretact architecture for digital solutions
- Transformer life cycle management
- Condition based maintenance for smart transformers
Gas insulated transformers, digital transformer maintenance and protection
- Gas insulated transformer illustrated
- Gas insulated transformer with alternative SF6
- Digital transformer troubleshooting
- TXpand for transformers by ABB
- Transformer protection including inrush current
- Wrap up session, questions and answers
- Certificate of Completion will be provided to delegates who attend and complete the course