Renewable energy is growing at an astounding pace, and now accounts for more than three-fourths of all new electricity generating capacity installed worldwide. Costs for renewables — notably solar photovoltaics (PV) — have dropped to the point where they can undercut coal and natural gas-fired generation.
With projections for further cost reductions and continued industry growth, renewables are challenging many of the assumptions upon which traditional utility planning and operation relies, creating countless new business opportunities, and disrupting many of the existing organizations that make up the electricity grid.
This course provides a thorough and concise primer on renewable technologies and markets. It delivers insight into the technologies themselves, focusing on real-world cost and performance. It covers metrics for assessing renewable technologies, and for comparing them to traditional generation. It untangles the complex issue of grid integration, explaining the technical and economic challenges that variable renewables impose on electricity grid operation. And it offers a pragmatic guide to the various policies and evolving market conditions that both help and hinder renewables.
At the end of this online training course, you will learn how to:
- Master basic energy concepts and principles
- Gain an understanding of renewable energy technologies, including their cost and performance characteristics
- Evaluate grid integration options – how to fit renewables into the electricity system
- Review the latest data on renewable energy market trends and projections
- -Identify opportunities and risks in the booming renewable energy industry
This online training course will utilize a variety of proven online learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, retention of the information presented. The online training course is conducted online using ClickMeeting and has three sessions starting from 0900 and end 1400.
Who Should Attend?
This course is targeted at those new to the renewable energy industry, and those seeking to enter this rapidly growing field. This course assumes no prior technical knowledge.
The Course Outline
- Electricity systems overview
- Electricity essentials: Units and measures
- Renewable energy technologies: basic operating principles, cost and performance metrics. Solar photovoltaics (PV), Wind power, and more.
- Grid integration of variable renewables: Options to increase system flexibility. Focus on Demand Response and Storage including batteries
- Renewable energy policy drivers: Auctions, Targets, and more
- Renewable market trends and projections
- Innovations from the leading edge: Case study examples
The Energy Training Centre e-Certificate for delegates who attend and complete the online training course