The general trend in modern power systems is to increase competition in order to achieve better performance and efficiency in the electricity production, transmission and distribution. In the modern electric energy market, the role of power systems becomes more important due to the existing competition issues. The reliability performance of power systems together with the reliability indices of service supplied to system customers constitute major aspects that are taken into account in the system planning and operating phases. Therefore, there is a need for planning and operating considerations that must be followed by the power system operators, energy suppliers and customers in order to assure that they will be able to operate reliably and safely together. All the above aspects need a probabilistic modeling and evaluation assessment since the existing deterministic criteria and standards cannot simulate realistically all the existing features of power systems and their customers. The objective of the training course in Dubai is to describe the most important areas that need probabilistic modeling and evaluation assessment.
By the end of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Determine the most important areas of power systems that need probabilistic modelling and evaluation assessment
- Understand the main features of the computational methods that are available for the reliability modelling
- Understand the main reliability indices that need be calculated for the quantification of load point and system performance
- Carry out practical reliability assessment studies
- Compare and justify alternative schemes for power system reinforcement