This two-day online training course provides exposure to international energy projects from the practical perspective of a business development executive seeking to acquire (or divest) upstream and midstream energy projects around the world. Lecture sessions will lead participants through the process of acquiring, managing, and disposing of international energy assets. Topics will include business development processes, approaches to structuring projects, joint ventures, host government relationships, managing threats to international projects (force majeure, expropriation, etc.), the natural resources curse, and construction/procurement.
The online training course concludes with a simulated international auction or “bid round” in which teams compete for exploration blocks (based on reserves potential, chance of success, number of wells, and exploration program cost). After the auction, teams will approach each other and seek to negotiate transactions in an effort to improve upon their auction results. The final stage of the workshop is a drilling exercise in which the teams can see the relative success of their auction and negotiation efforts.
By the end of this online training course, participants will be able to:
- How do business development executives at major energy companies use a methodical process to generate and evaluate energy deals?
- What commercial and contractual structures are used by energy companies and governments to structure upstream and midstream projects?
- How do energy companies effectively manage their relationships with host governments around the world?
- How do United States energy projects differ from those around the world?
- What risks are typically encountered in energy projects, and how do companies prepare for and manage them?
- Participation in a multilateral bid round, negotiation, and drilling simulation using exploration blocks
This online training course will utilize a variety of proven online learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, retention of the information presented. The online training course is conducted online using ClickMeeting and has three sessions starting from 0900 and end 1400.
Who Should Attend?
Energy company personnel with backgrounds in business development, management, engineering, geology, geophysics, accounting, or legal, from all levels of experience who participate (or desire to participate in) in energy project acquisition and development around the world (both upstream and midstream).
The Course Outline
- Business Development Processes
- Commercial Structures of International Transactions
- Bidding Strategy
- Exploration Bidding Round
- International Shale
- Host Government Relationships
- Negotiation Outreach
- Threats to Project Cash Flows
- Rolling of Dice for Drilling Results and Concluding Remarks
The Energy Training Centre e-Certificate for delegates who attend and complete the online training course