Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) systems have become established in developed and developing countries, usually as a legal requirement of the development control process. EIA is an important tool to inform decision-makers, regulators, and stakeholders about the possible environmental impact and social and economic costs of the proposed energy project. EIA requires all concerned parties' active involvement, screening and scoping the EIA process, and decision-making and conducting transparent public hearings to evaluate the EIA reports.
The purpose of this very interactive course is to enable the participants to identify the key stages of the EIA process and to provide guidance on managing complex technical projects related to energy development. This ETC training course will help develop their knowledge and skills to apply and carry out EIA in planning and executing various energy projects. It will rely on real-world case studies that will be included in several workshops with class discussions and problem-solving to help participants enhance their effectiveness in handling complex practical problems.
This ETC training course will highlight:
- Data Collection, Evaluation, Interpretation, and Validation
- Development of Environmental Management Plan (EMP)
- Risk Assessment and Best Practices for Mitigation
- Biodiversity Assessment, Conservation Plan and Socio-Economic Impact
- Legal requirements for Environmental Clearance Process
By the end of this ETC training course, the participants will be able to:
- Evaluate environmental and socio-economic aspects of the project
- Understand the interplay between ecosystems and technological factors
- Develop environmental data for the given resources
- Learn how to carry out EIA procedure leading to environmental clearance
- Prepare EMP and monitoring procedure
This training course will be conducted along with workshop principles with formal lectures, case studies, and interactive worked examples. Relevant case studies will be provided to illustrate the application of each aspect of the EIA process. Each learning point will be re-enforced with practical exercises. There will be ample opportunities for class discussion and sharing experiences.