This ETC training course will provide exposure to energy construction projects from the perspectives of owners and contractors. It will lead through the process of selecting commercial structures (including lump sum, guaranteed maximum price, time and materials, actual costs with percentage fee, actual costs with a fixed fee, actual costs with target price) and the negotiation of typical services and construction contracts (including construction contracts, master construction contracts, services agreements, master services agreements, geological assessment agreements, procurement agreements, and engineering services agreements).
Details matter greatly in energy construction and services contracts. Small differences in provisions can shift the risk of a project and, as a result, potentially millions, or ten million of US dollars, from the owner to the contractor—or the contractor to the owner. This training course focuses on those terms and conditions that are most likely to have an economic impact on project economics.
The topics here will be presented in the context of energy construction projects where there are new demands on society to build a greener future. A key focus will be on the delivery of the project in the context of the energy transition and whether this will affect future performance in contracts.
This ETC training course will highlight:
- Changes to the scope of work
- Time and schedule adjustments
- Price adjustments and invoice controls
- Indemnities, warranties, and force majeure
- Adverse weather, protestor activity, and company-caused delay
- Performance security, and dispute resolution
By the end of this training course, the participants will learn to:
- How is energy construction adapting to a greener future?
- How do owners decide which commercial structure is best-suited for a particular project (lump sum, guaranteed maximum price, time and materials, actual costs with percentage fee, actual costs with a fixed fee, actual costs with target price)?
- What issues should owners and contractors focus on when negotiating different construction, procurement, and services contracts?
- Under what circumstances should contractors be entitled to price adjustments and/or time (schedule) adjustments?
- When should circumstances related to COVID-19 give rise to price and time adjustments?
- What controls should exist on the payment of invoices (under different types of commercial structures)?
- How do construction and services warranty provisions work?
- What types of indemnity structures should be used for different types of projects?
- What dispute mechanisms deliver results?
This online training course will utilize a variety of proven online learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, retention of the information presented. The training course is conducted Online via an Advanced Virtual Learning Platform in the comfort of any location of your choice.
Who Should Attend?
This ETC training course will suit all energy professionals as new project development is how the energy sector grows. It ensures that the participants will understand and/or update your knowledge on this crucial area around the construction of energy projects. It will take you through core areas in the planning and development of an energy project and provide you with a comprehensive perspective of the law and policy issues as construction develops.
This ETC training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Energy Strategist
- Energy Project Development
- Engineering and Construction
- Public Sector Energy and Procurement Professionals
- Energy company personnel with backgrounds in supply chain management
- Environmental Regulators
- Environmental Experts
- Energy Technical Experts
- Energy Finance
The Course Outline
- Understanding Energy Construction in the age of a Greener Future
- Selection of Commercial Structure
- Types of Construction Project Agreements
- Price Adjustments Part I
- Price Adjustments Part II (Standby Compensation)
- Time Adjustments
- COVID-19 Special Circumstances
- The Adjustment Process
- Payments and Invoices
- Warranties, Indemnities, and Liability Limitations
- Terminations and Performance Security
- Dispute Resolution
The Energy Training Centre e-Certificate will be given to the participants who attend and complete the online training course.