This one-day online training course is to provide exposure to energy construction projects from the perspectives of owners and their contractors. Sessions will lead participants through the process of selecting commercial structures (including lump sum, guaranteed maximum price, time and materials, actual costs with percentage fee, actual costs with fixed fee, actual costs with target price) and the negotiation of typical services and construction contracts (including construction contracts, master construction contracts, services agreements, master services agreements, geological assessment agreements, procurement agreements, and engineering services agreements).
Details matter greatly in energy construction and services contracts. Small differences in provisions can shift millions, or tens of millions of dollars, from the owner to the contractor—or the contractor to the owner. This online training course focuses on those terms and conditions that are most likely to have an economic impact on project economics. Topics will include changes to the scope of work, time/schedule adjustments, price adjustments, invoice controls, indemnities, warranties, force majeure, adverse weather, protestor activity, company-caused delay, performance security, and dispute resolution.
By the end of this Energy Training Centre online training course, participants will learn to:
- How do owners decide which commercial structure is best-suited for the facts of a particular project (lump sum, guaranteed maximum price, time and materials, actual costs with percentage fee, actual costs with fixed fee, actual costs with target price)?
- What issues should owners and contractors focus on when negotiating different kinds of construction, procurement, and services contracts?
- Under what circumstances should contractors be entitled to price adjustments?
- Under what circumstances should contractors be entitled to time (schedule) adjustments?
- When should circumstances related to COVID-19 give rise to price and time adjustments?
- What controls should exist on payment of invoices (under different types of commercial structures)?
- How do construction and services warranty provisions work?
- What types of indemnity structures should be used for different types of projects?
This online training course will utilize a variety of proven online learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension, retention of the information presented. The online training course is conducted online using ClickMeeting and has three sessions starting from 0900 and end 1400.
Who Should Attend?
This Energy Training Centre online training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Energy company personnel with backgrounds in Supply Chain Management
- Energy Project Development, Engineering and construction
The Course Outline
- Selection of Commercial Structure
- Types of Construction Project Agreements
- Price Adjustments Part 1
- Price Adjustments Part 2 (Standby Compensation)
- Time Adjustments
- COVID-19 Special Circumstances
- The Adjustment Process
- Payments and Invoices
- Warranties, Indemnities, and Liability Limitations
- Terminations, Performance Security, and Dispute Resolution
The Energy Training Centre e-Certificate for delegates who attend and complete the online training course